We think you will find our Swizzy’s so delicious and so good for you that you’ll want us to make more for you. But if you run out you can make your own Swizzy at home.
Here’s how to make a 750mL bottle of Swizzy exactly like ours. You will need:
- A 750ml glass bottle with a screw cap
- 140g of fresh ginger root
- 63ml of lemon juice (squeeze your own or use shop-bought Sicilian lemon juice)
- 55ml of good quality apple cider vinegar
- 64ml pure maple syrup (not “pancake syrup” or other fakes)
- 900ml water
1. Make a fresh ginger tea by washing the ginger root and cutting into rough junks (there’s no need to peel it). Place in a saucepan with the water and bring to the boil. Boil for 2 or 3 minutes. Take off the heat and let it steep for about 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile mix the other three ingredients in a jug.
3. Filter the steeped ginger tea through a fine mesh strainer (to remove the bits of ginger) and measure out 568 mL of it. Discard the remaining ginger root (or, even better, use it in cooking)
4. Add the finished ginger tea to the jug with the other ingredients.
5. Decant into the glass bottle.
6. The drink can be enjoyed hot or cold but should be stored in the fridge. (If you want a hot drink just warm some in a saucepan or microwave). It should last 3 or 4 weeks in the fridge.
You can use this as a base recipe and experiment with any fresh flavours you like. Topping it up with beetroot juice or orange juice is delicious. Or you can add strawberry juice or mango puree like we do.
If you have a Soda Stream you can create some extra fizz.